PlasticsEurope, the association of European plastics producers, is one of the leading European trade associations with centres in Brussels, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Milan and Paris. We aim to bring to life the responsible actions, partnerships, and innovations the European plastics industry is making to acknowledge and address the issue of plastics waste, and enhance confidence in plastics ability to contribute positively to society.
Fire Safety Expert role (Employee or free-lance contract) within Modern Building Alliance
Modern Building Alliance is an alliance of trade associations and companies representing the plastics industry (thermosets and thermoplastics) in the construction sector at European level. Plastics are increasingly used in building and construction applications to make our buildings more sustainable, from window frames and durable pipes to state-of-the-art insulation solutions. An essential pillar of our cause is the ambition for greater fire safety across the construction industry. It is a key driver of our product design and manufacturing: improving the fire safety of buildings is a joint responsibility of the whole value chain involved in building and construction. That is why, by engaging with policy makers and stakeholders, we are committed to supporting the EU in ensuring safe and sustainable construction for people across Europe.
More information : www.modernbuildingalliance.eu
The Modern Building Alliance is administratively hosted by PlasticsEurope and running as an independent and agile entity with strong involvement of the members. The successful candidate will be contracted by PlasticsEurope and be dedicated to the Modern Building Alliance. The team is currently composed of an Executive Chair, a Public Affairs and Communications manager and a part-time administrative assistant.
We are looking for a Fire Safety expert to support our activities. The requested tasks can be fulfilled either by a free-lance consultant or by an employee (full time or part-time). A free-lance may only cover some part of the tasks. The successful candidate will work closely with our Executive Chair and our members to support and coordinate our technical activities with academics, laboratories, the European Commission, our industry and other stakeholders.
The position is for a highly motivated and well organised candidate having a fire safety engineering education or experience, able to coordinate technical work, to engage with various technical stakeholders and to communicate effectively about fire safety science to a broad audience. The scope of responsibilities of the successful candidate may grow with experience and with the development of the alliance.
The candidate will be strongly supported by technical fire experts from our members who have long standing knowledge and experience about material science and fire safety of products in their applications.
The fire safety expert will have as responsibilities to:
- Manage the Technical WG of the Modern Building Alliance, to which fire experts of all members are contributing
- Review technical documents on behalf of the Modern Building Alliance (eg. in the context of fire safety regulatory developments such as the current development of a European method for fire safety assessment of facades) and draft proposals of the Modern Building Alliance input
- Draft technical documents for the Modern Building Alliance (eg. Conference paper, conference presentations, factsheets) and support communication
- Ensure interface with external suppliers for technical projects (eg. Research project with academics or labs)
- Monitor and analyse scientific literature; consolidate technical knowledge on relevant topics, propose reaction if required and disseminate knowledge towards our members and industry.
- Accompany or replace the Executive Chair in technical discussion with the European Commission (eg. EU Fire Information Exchange Platform, EU Façade project…)
- Propose relevant technical activities to support the goal of the Modern Building Alliance of advancing fire safety
- Together with the Executive Chair, engage with relevant stakeholders from the fire safety community such as academics, fire services or fire engineers.
- Possibly follow relevant standardisation work
The tasks and responsibilities can be adapted in function of the profile of the successful candidate. A free-lance consultant may cover only part of these tasks.
- Preferably a master degree (or PhD) in fire safety engineering or any other relevant scientific degree with experience in that field
- Strong capability to communicate (oral and written) in English. Additional EU languages will be considered a plus
- Capability to engage with various stakeholders and ideally already disposing of a network within the fire safety community (academics and engineers)
- Ideally existing experience and knowledge about fire safety of buildings (façades…), fire safety engineering and construction materials
- Flexible, diplomatic mind-set with ability to lead with influence
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-confidence, balanced and constructively critical with a positive attitude
Example of past and current technical activities of Modern Building Alliance:
- Modern Building Alliance is a stakeholder contributing to the EU Fire Information Exchange Platform (FIEP) led by the European Commission:
- The Modern Building Alliance is a stakeholder to the EU project of finalisation of a European approach to assess the fire performance of facades
- Modern Building Alliance is running a research project about fire safety of facades
- Modern Building Alliance has developed a proposed regulatory framework for fire safe buildings, published in a technical paper and presented to the FIEP and several conferences
- Modern Building Alliance aims to advance EU debate around the need to develop fire safety knowledge and competency to ensure fire safety adequately accompanies sustainable construction. Modern Building Alliance therefore published a call for action, and engages with various stakeholders as in a recent event of the EU Fire Safety Week :
- Our members individually and our industry at national level, are running other technical activities such a fire test campaign, research or standardization activities that are relevant to the work of the Modern Building Alliance
Main office and several meetings in Brussels (Rue Belliard, 40) but possibility to work elsewhere in Europe in home office or in another PlasticsEurope premises (Frankfurt, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Warsaw)
How to apply?
Please send your application with a cover letter and CV before February 28th 2021 with the subject “Fire Safety Expert” to: HR@plasticseurope.org; including your expected working conditions (employee or free-lance status, location, full time or part time, salary)