France is hosting and presiding the 21st Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change known as "Paris 2015” from November 30th to December 11th.
COP21 is a crucial conference in order to achieve a new international agreement on the climate, applicable to all countries, with the aim of keeping global warming below 2°C.
Plastics contribution to Climate Protection
- Plastics provide numerous solutions for climate protection
- The unique characteristics of plastics make them strong contributors to a more environmentally sustainable and recovery efficient Europe
- Plastics are lightweight, versatile and durable and therefore contribute to energy and resource savings in strategic sectors like retails, construction, healthcare, automotive and renewable energy
- Plastics save more energy than it takes to produce and recover them and therefore is one of the most resource-eficient materials around.
- Around 96% of crude oil and gas goes directly into energy production for heating, transport and electricity. Only 4% is used for the production of plastics
- And at the end of it’s life, plastics are too valuable to be thrown away: plastics can be recycled or used for energy recovery
Plastics helps to make planes lighter, there fore contributes to the reduction of CO2 emissions. Respectively, due to lighter planes the fuel consumption is reduced.
are 40-50% lighter
those made of alternative materials. Thus,
plastics help reduce CO2 emissions by million
of tonnes a
year in Europe.
Plastics preserve water
are energy efficient.
less energy in
transport, handling and
smoothness reduces pumping energy.
provide a sustainable
safe way to
distribute valuable drinking water.
new portable purification system made of
simplifies on-site conversion of large
of dirty water into potable water
50% of all European goods are
60 million tonnes of
CO2 are saved
per year thanks to lightweight
Plastics enable resource efficient packaging
solutions, this is
due to the fact that plastic
packaging facilitates significantly
material consumption which
results in less
enables the solar
energy to be
converted into electricity. Solar panels
are partly made from
and solar power is a free, highly
efficient energy source
Photo: © Schmidhuber + Partner GbR
technology consume less energy.
This is the benefit of premium quality
economise on valuable
resources such as energy
and water in a way that
would have been inconceivable only a few
Wind power is
only one of many possibilities
of using renewable energy,
that capturing the power of the wind
be impossible without plastics? The windmills
almost entirely made of
as only this material
is able to withstand
the permanent mechanical
stress on a rotor of this size.
insulation panels of only 20cm
the building’s exterior, roof and cellar ceiling
well as installing plastic insulating windows
contribute to energy saving and correspondingly,
the energy efficiency and has been
shown to be effective
on a broad range of sustainability